Households items dangerous to dogs

Published by Cass Horse Whispers on

Many common items found in a house can cause dog poisoning and as a dog owner, it is important to know where the culprits are and what to do in the unfortunate event your pooch ingests something toxic.

The below infographic shows you the most common sources and symptoms.

Xylitol, a sweetener found in sugar-free items like chewing gums, yoghurts, drinks and many other low sugar products, is particularly toxic to dogs as it causes hypoglycaemia, liver failure and death within 30 minutes. It is more dangerous than chocolate or grapes! Xylitol is now found in some peanut butter brands. Make sure you check the list of ingredients of the products that your dog may ingest.  Only 0.5g/kg of body weight of your dog can be fatal. 1 large chewing gum can kill a small dog. Take him to a vet immediately if you suspect he has ingested something containing Xylitol.

Avocado, they have a substance called persin that can act as a dog poison, causing vomiting and diarrhoea.

Grapes and raisins, these fruits can induce kidney failure in dogs. Even a small number may cause problems in some dogs.

Chocolate, these products contain substances called methylxanthines that can cause vomiting in small doses, and death if ingested in larger quantities. Darker chocolate contains more of these dangerous substances than do white or milk chocolate. 

Macadamia nuts, dogs may suffer from a series of symptoms, including weakness, overheating, and vomiting, after consumption of macadamia nuts. It’s best to avoid all nuts, however peanut butter is ok.

Onion and garlic, are said to cause anaemia to dogs. When eaten, the compound named N-propyl disulfide causes the red cells to breakdown, which impacts the availability of oxygen. Toxicity happens when the animal ingests 100g of onion, garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives (plants from the allium family) per 20kg of body weight. However, ingesting smaller quantities everyday may also cause anaemia. The powder forms of these products are even more potent and toxic to dogs.

In case your dog becomes ill, please call your vet immediately. It may save his life!

food and common items you should never feed your dog

Cass Horse Whispers

I have a passion for horses and animal communication has opened the doors to a secret world. I am also passionate about animal welfare and justice for them.

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: